Sunday, February 28, 2010

Just One of Life's Little Pleasures

Most every day in life we get little surprises that brighten our day and make us smile. You know, things like kisses from our kids, a sweet text from our spouse, a child who does their chores without being asked (ok, I know I am stretching it a bit here), finding something you need on clearance, finding something you don't need on clearance, but that is too good a deal to pass up, however, I am sure you are getting the picture.

Well, Saturday was one of those life's little pleasures day for me. I was standing on the basket aisle in Goodwill and simply taking my time and thinking pleasant thoughts to myself. The thought began something like this. One day I am going to find a Longaberger, no matter how big or how small, I am going to find one. Some day. I was thinking of how excited I would be when I spotted it. I imagined myself scooping it up and doing a little happy dance. Well, about at that point in my thinking I was interrupted by the reality that I needed to keep moving along. Today wasn't going to be that day, but I was happy to just be "hanging out" with my honey at Goodwill.

Then I spotted a "nice-looking" basket at the other end. I zigzagged over to check it out. As I began to untangle it from the maze, I thought, "no-way", but instantly I knew that yes, this was the day! This was my day to find my basket! I quickly hoisted it up to find those long sought after words on the bottom, Longaberger baskets, Dresden, Ohio!!!!!! Wow!!!! I can only imagine that winning the lottery is something akin to this. I was so excited. I was holding in my hands a medium gathering basket complete with divided protector. What fun for me. One of life's little pleasures. Oh!, the price was right, too! It was $2.99. What a great deal!

Would the quality of my life have been the same if I had never found a Longaberger at Goodwill? The answer is yes! But I did see my little dream fulfilled, was happy to add yet another basket to my already overflowing collection, and finally I can say, "Oh, I got that one at Goodwill."

3 comments:

Clare said...

I've always thought that would be fun too! Or finding a Vera, or a first edition classic... Goodwill is a treasure trove for sure, even if I don't find an amazing deal like that! What basket was it?

Rachel said...

GREEN.....GREEN.....GREEN.....GREEN.......with envy!

Ann said...

Lisa, I'm so happy for you and your exciting find! :) I always have a lot of fun shopping with you, it's fun to find treasures together!