I have come up against a bit of a dilemma in my cleaning and packing. Here is my dilemma. Some folks say simplify, get rid of everything. Other folks say use everything up, make do with what you have, make it over, modify it, etc. I can't do that if I threw it out! I try to think about each item, when did I use it last? When will I use it again? Did I ever use it? How much did I pay for it? How much will it cost me to replace it? How much is it costing me to store it? Some items are easy. I never used it, I don't have plans to use it, I don't know what it does. So, out it goes.
Other items are not so easy. I paid a lot of money for this. Yes, I used it. No, not in the past 6 months. Yes, I could use it in the future, but when?
This is all a bit much for me to deal with day after day. Now I know you "simplifiers" out there are laughing at me, while you "keepers" are understanding my dilemma quite well. So, perhaps I just need to be accountable to someone. I have chosen all of you. Today I have gotten rid of an entire garbage bag full of Tupperware. No offense to you Tupperware lovers, just things I decided I no longer have room to keep. See, here I am apologizing when I am trying to celebrate! I could celebrate the clean cabinet, but I am sure the kids messed it up putting away dishes tonight. I don't want to check as I might have a break down.
I also got rid of more clothes from my closet, yes, there are still more. I also threw out a shopping bag full of toys. So, today I feel that I have made good progress. I will keep humming my new buzz words, simplify, simplify, simplify and when in doubt throw it out. Actually, doesn't that apply to food and not things.
Into the Unknown
6 years ago

2 comments:
Would it make you feel better if I told you I have more than 1 box, very messily (like that word?) packed, stuffed into my storage room because I don't want the stuff in my house, but can't bear to get rid of it?!
I think organization is more important than minimization. A ton of stuff well organized looks better than a few items strewn about!!! And yes, I'm talking to myself here too!
Happy Packing!
I was doing well, too. Until I came across a box of clothes today that I had tried to Craigslist last year. I needed some new things-and most of those fit now! Great-now I don't want to get rid of anything because I saved myself a lot of money by keeping that stuff. I guess a better solution would be to stay the same size! I suppose that doesn't excuse me from keeping the kids' stuff, though. They will never be those sizes again. Too bad because the stuff is so cute! I guess it doesn't get any easier...
Post a Comment