It seems so often during each week that I talk to people about things that they "believe" to be good and right. We talk about everything from religion to homeschooling to the government, etc.
We are all willing to talk and give an opinion. But do we all know what we are talking about? Have we researched the topic. Can we support and defend our causes?
How about the homeschooling realm? Do we really know our rights? Are we in danger of losing some of those? How does that happen?
How about our government? Do we seem to be losing more rights daily? How about just the basic right to life for a preborn child? What about social security?
As I think about these things and begin to research them I am challenged to sign more petitions, you know, so often those forwards you perhaps delete without even looking at them. Perhaps those persons standing in front of Walmart with those huge clipboards that you hurry by because you don't want to be bothered. Or perhaps like me you worry you won't even know what Initiative 0000 even means, so therefore, you won't know whether you want to sign the petition or not.
Shame on us for not taking the time to find out about things that influence us or the culture around us. Shame on us for complaining for hours and not taking 5-10 minutes to let our representatives and senators know how we feel. But I guess my biggest complaint of all is that sometimes we know what is going on, we know we should stand up against it, but perhaps we don't know how and we feel helpless to bring about change that really could make a difference. Find a group or organization that reflects your thoughts and feelings and SUPPORT that group monetarily so they can represent you where you feel incapable.
The biggest example for this that I can think of is homeschoolers who do not support our organizations like WHO and HSLDA. These groups represent us in so many ways in so many areas that supporting them through membership is a very small price to pay for all they do. The groups also keep us aware of other ways we can keep our "causes" going in a direction we want to see them go (definitely not backwards).
There are support groups for every cause and we aren't going to be in all of them, but we can find a select few and put some money behind those "opinions" so perhaps we can make a difference in at least one or two areas.
Into the Unknown
6 years ago

2 comments:
I agree with you. Our money has to go somewhere so why not where our mouth is? I think if you don't have money then there are always other ways to support your causes. However, in the case of HSLDA I think (especially considering the current political environment) that it is like insurance. You will be sorry you don't have it when you need it!
I especially like supporting the "causes" who are not incorporated or major employers... like Clare's Target guy.
Post a Comment