OK, my husband is not in ministry so I just want to list another perk of that job to those who are in ministry. Most of your "required" functions probably don't keep you awake at night. On the other hand, my husband has a job where we are "required" periodically (once a lifetime would have been too much) to go to gatherings or parties. I generally spend far too much time debating what to wear, searching for something new endlessly and finally deciding on something that has been hanging in my closet for several years. Then the big day comes and we hurry so as not to be late. I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would care if we come late. We arrive to stand in some "hallway" and chitchat for 30 seemingly 60 minutes about where everyone vacationed or what they have "added" to their home lately. I try not to think of how hungry I am knowing that dinner is still probably 45 minutes to 1 hour away if I am having a good evening. But, don't worry, there are little "attendants" passing by periodically waving trays of appetizers and if I am lucky I can catch one or two. That gives me a purpose, try and figure out what I am eating and who really eats these things that no one can identify or spell. Oh well, they taste ok and now dinner doesn't seem quite so far away. I go back to idle chatter and try to think of something to talk about that has meaning or purpose. We are finally ushered into dinner where everyone begins eating and I am offered a few moments of respite as eating consumes all of my attention. Dinner is over. The program begins and ends. The evening comes to a close. I often leave thinking that wasn't soooo bad and I did enjoy the time in the car with my spouse. Am I just shallow for feeling this way?
4 comments:
I'm sure you looked wonderful and your hubby was oh, so pleased to have you on his arm. It's not often I get to attend high brow events - but I have learned to eat before I go. Love to read your entries - I check daily for new ones... but no pressure! (Smile)
Oh mom, you are too funny! You are too nice, too real for most of those people. I am glad that the evening wasn't too bad. I am with you on the food thing, though. Who really enjoys that stuff?
Maybe next time you play your DS Lite while snacking on Goldfish crackers you've stashed in your purse?
I would hate those events too. While starving, you're wondering if you've got anything from the appetizer plate stuck in your teeth :)
I also have learned to dread those "high society" events. I am actually getting quite creative in the art of dodging them! However in the interest of my husbands Army career I try to attend some with a smile on my face and candy in my purse:) Plus I just want you to know that you have one less thing to complain about then me, because there is no way I could squeeze into anything from more than two years ago;)! Love ya~ME
Post a Comment